Thursday, March 1, 2012

Book Quotes (1)

Hello Bloggy Followers!
I don't know about you guys, but I LOVE [reading] quotes! I also LOVE [reading] books and I LOVE blogging. I have already combined my love of books and blogging to create The Cozy Reading Corner. But I have yet to add my love of quotes. This is where this post comes in. I have decided to compile a whole bunch of quotes about books/writing. And since there are literally thousands, this is just part one in what I hope to make a series. So, pop some popcorn, sit back, and relax my friends and let me bring the quotes to you.  :))

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
Marcus Tullius Cicero
“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.”
Jorge Luis Borges
“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
G.K. Chesterton
“You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.”
Madeleine L'Engle
“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
Mark Twain
“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.”
Paul Sweeney
“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.”
J.D. Salinger
“In a good bookroom you feel in some mysterious way that you are absorbing the wisdom contained in all the books through your skin, without even opening them.”
Mark Twain
“Do not read, as children do, to amuse yourself, or like the ambitious, for the purpose of instruction. No, read in order to live.”
Gustave Flaubert
“Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?”
Henry Ward Beecher
“A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.”
C.S. Lewis
“When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.”
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus
“I cannot live without books.”
Thomas Jefferson
“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
Toni Morrison
“You get a little moody sometimes but I think that's because you like to read. People that like to read are always a little [messed] up.”
Pat Conroy
“Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.”
Cornelia Funke
“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.”
William Styron
“In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.”
Mortimer Jerome Adler
“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
George R.R. Martin
“From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend on reading it.”
Groucho Marx

“Books say: She did this because. Life says: She did this. Books are where things are explained to you; life is where things aren't. I'm not surprised some people prefer books.”
Julian Barnes
“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
Cassandra Clare

“Books are my friends, my companions. They make me laugh and cry and find meaning in life.”
Christopher Paolini
“I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it.”
David Foster Wallace

“What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul.”
Neil Gaiman

“Isn't it odd how much fatter a book gets when you've read it several times?" Mo had said..."As if something were left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells...and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there, too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower...both strange and familiar.”
Cornelia Funke

“It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.”
C.S. Lewis
“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life.”
Walt Disney Company
“The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours”
Alan Bennett
“Books may well be the only true magic.”
Alice Hoffman
“I don't believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book.”
J.K. Rowling
“Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.”
Arnold Lobel
“I love books, by the way, way more than movies. Movies tell you what to think. A good book lets you choose a few thoughts for yourself. Movies show you the pink house. A good book tells you there's a pink house and lets you paint some of the finishing touches, maybe choose the roof style,park your own car out front. My imagination has always topped anything a movie could come up with. Case in point, those darned Harry Potter movies. That was so not what that part-Veela-chick, Fleur Delacour, looked like.”
Karen Marie Moning
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
Steven Wright
“All the books we own, both read and unread, are the fullest expression of self we have at our disposal. ... But with each passing year, and with each whimsical purchase, our libraries become more and more able to articulate who we are, whether we read the books or not.”
Nick Hornby
“Only bad books have good endings.
If a book is any good, it's ending is always bad - because you don't want the book to end.”
Pseudonymous Bosch

“Literature is a textually transmitted disease, normally contracted in childhood.”
Jane Yolen
“You know, it's hard work to write a book. I can't tell you how many times I really get going on an idea, then my quill breaks. Or I spill ink all over my writing tunic.”
Ellen DeGeneres
“After all, reading is arguably a far more creative and imaginative process than writing; when the reader creates emotion in their head, or the colors of the sky during the setting sun, or the smell of a warm summer's breeze on their face, they should reserve as much praise for themselves as they do for the writer - perhaps more.”
Jasper Fforde
“The library is inhabited by spirits that come out of the pages at night.”
Isabel Allende
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
Diane Duane
“'How can you tell? That I like books, I mean.'
'The look on your face when you walked in, somehow I doubted you were that impressed by me.'”
Cassandra Clare
“Books are no more threatened by Kindle than stairs by elevators.”
Stephen Fry
“Picking five favorite books is like picking the five body parts you'd most like not to lose.”
Neil Gaiman
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...The man who never reads lives only one.”
George R.R. Martin
“Which of us has not felt that the character we are reading in the printed page is more real than the person standing beside us?”
Cornelia Funke
 
I hope you enjoy all these fun quotes! And definitely check back here, because I plan on having more up on the blog soon!
-Kristen ♥

2 comments:

  1. these are my faves, esp the last one :)
    “You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.”
    ― Paul Sweeney

    “When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.”
    ― Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

    “You get a little moody sometimes but I think that's because you like to read. People that like to read are always a little [messed] up.”
    ― Pat Conroy

    “A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.”
    ― William Styron

    “In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.”
    ― Mortimer Jerome Adler

    “Books say: She did this because. Life says: She did this. Books are where things are explained to you; life is where things aren't. I'm not surprised some people prefer books.”
    ― Julian Barnes

    “Books are my friends, my companions. They make me laugh and cry and find meaning in life.”
    ― Christopher Paolini

    “I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it.”
    ― David Foster Wallace

    “Books may well be the only true magic.”
    ― Alice Hoffman

    “I don't believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book.”
    ― J.K. Rowling

    “I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
    ― Steven Wright

    “The library is inhabited by spirits that come out of the pages at night.”
    ― Isabel Allende

    “'How can you tell? That I like books, I mean.'
    'The look on your face when you walked in, somehow I doubted you were that impressed by me.'”
    ― Cassandra Clare

    “Picking five favorite books is like picking the five body parts you'd most like not to lose.”
    ― Neil Gaiman

    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...The man who never reads lives only one.”
    ― George R.R. Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you found some you liked! :))

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!! They mean the world to me! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...